Friday, September 8, 2023

One Thousand Gifts: Friday, Week Six

 


Happy Friday, Friends!  How was your Labor Day?  I love these short business weeks, especially when Mr. Bookish and I get to sleep in a little on a Friday morning!  

This week's lesson is entitled "anti-anxiety grace."  I was taken aback by John Calvin's quote that "the stability of the world depends on rejoicing in [God's] works."  I found this quote both comforting and frightening for obvious reasons.

What Ann has learned from scripture and Calvin is this:

The answer to anxiety is the adoration of Christ.
"One Thousand Gifts," page 30.

Now that's an easy solution that can quickly become a habit!

Thoughts about the devotion?

Here's a reminder of the Psalm from our lesson, and the highlighted portion is in the graphic below it.

My heart is not proud, Lord,
    my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
    or things too wonderful for me.
But I have calmed and quieted myself,
    I am like a weaned child with its mother;
    like a weaned child I am content.

Israel, put your hope in the Lord
    both now and forevermore.

~Psalm 131


Prayer Requests

  • Pray for the people suffering in Maui.  Let God shed light on the truth of what happened there.
  • Pray for Kris's daughter Kim as she only has about four more weeks until she gives birth to her first child.  Let's pray for an easy labor and delivery, and a healthy, happy mom and baby!
  • Please, God, send us strong leaders who will put you first and then the citizens of our country.
  • Pray that the division in our country ends, and that we can truly be one nation under God, and indivisible.
  • Let's continue to pray for our gold star families and our active military.
  • Please pray for Kitty's DIL, Julie, that her heart will change; for SIL, Eric, that he will see some relief for his cervical dystonia; and for her son, Mike, that he will get a job.
  • Pray for my friend's husband Phinizy as he's having minor surgery Tuesday morning.  Pray for fast healing and a negative biopsy.
  • As a group, let's commit to the constant adoration of Christ and praise of God!

Amen!





Until next time...

Blessings!
Ricki Jill


4 comments

  1. Continued prayers for everyone. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Time is going to fast. Hugs. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acknowledging the new requests for prayer, I have been in a habit of starting my evening prayers with praise and thanks for some time, esp when I am anxious!
    Happy weekend everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for all of our dear Prayer Warriors. Lots of love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for including my prayer requests as I continue prayers for all here. I appreciate the reminder to praise God as our commitment. Happy Sunday blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for sharing your thoughts about the guided journaling. Feel free to share your prayer requests in comments, too.